Union Public Service Commission (UPSC), a constitutional body conducts UPSC CAPF (UPSC Central Armed Police Forces) for making a merit based selection for Assistant Commandants.
The recruitment is for Border Security Force (BSF), Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF), Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) and Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB).
UPSC CAPF AC 2020 Exam Dates
|The application form will be available from||22 April 2019|
|Last date to fill the application form||12 May 2019|
|Examination date||09 Aug. 2019|
|The announcement of Result||September 2020|
|A personal interview will be held on||November 2020|
**NOTE: The Dates mentioned are as per UPSC academic calendar 2020
Eligibility Criteria for UPSC CAPF-AC
The following eligibility criteria is a must for any candidate who wishes to appear in the UPSC CAPF-AC Exam
Only candidates who are citizens of India are eligible to appear for the exam. Any other citizens are not eligible to register or apply for UPSC CAPF 2019.
The UPSC CAPF does not pertain to any single gender. Both male and female candidates can apply for the post of Assistant Commandants.
- Candidates are supposed to be within an age limit of 20-25 years.
- The upper age limit is relaxable up to a maximum of five years for the SC/ST candidates.
- The upper age limit is relaxable up to a maximum of three years for the OBC candidates.
The Candidate must hold a graduate degree in any discipline from a recognized University or any equivalent qualification recognized as such by the Central Government.
- Candidates who earned a degree from educational institutions established by an Act of Parliament or declared to be deemed as a University under Section-3 of the University Grants Commission Act, 1956 are also acceptable.
- Candidates who have appeared for the qualifying exams and awaiting their results can also apply for the exam.
- The candidate must produce the essential documents that will be provisional until the candidate produces proof of passing the qualifying the exam.
- Those candidates who possess professional and technical qualifications recognized by the Government as equivalent to the professional and technical degree would also be considered eligible to apply for CAPF AC.
- There may be some exceptions in which UPSC may treat a candidate who doesn’t have any of the above-mentioned qualifications as a qualified candidate, given that they have passed an examination conducted by the other Institutions, whose standard justifies their eligibility.
UPSC CAPF Exam Pattern 2019
UPSC CAPF exam has 3 stages as given below:
|Stage-II||Physical Efficiency Test|
|Stage-III||Personality Test/ Interview|
Stage I: Written Test
- The Stage-I has two papers. Conducts two slots on the same day and both the slots are different.
|Paper-I||General Ability and Intelligence||Objective type (MCQ based)||250||10 a.m. to 12 p.m.|
|Paper-II||General Studies, Essay, and Comprehension||Subjective paper||200||2 p.m. to 5 p.m.|
- The Commission at their discretion fixed minimum qualifying marks separately in each paper.
- Evaluation of Paper- I will be done first and Paper-II will be done only for those candidates who clear the Paper-I.
Stage II: Physical Efficiency Test
|100 Meters||In 16 seconds||In 18 Seconds|
|800 Meters||In 3 minutes 45 seconds||In 4 minutes 45 seconds|
|Long Jump||3.5 Meters (3 chances)||3 Meters (3 chances)|
|Short Put (7.26 Kgs.)||4.5 Meters|
Stage III: Interview/ Personality Test:
- Eligibility: Candidates who all are qualified in the Medical Eligibility Test are called for Interview/ Personality Test.
- DAF: Candidates who are short-listed for Personality/ Interview Test will be issued a Detailed Application Form (DAF) in which among other things, they will be required to indicate their preference of Forces.
- Marks: The Interview/Personality Test will carry 150 Marks.
- Merit list: Merit list will be prepared on the basis of the marks obtained by the candidates in the Written Examination and Interview/Personality Test.
Syllabus for UPSC CAPF-AC
The detailed syllabus of UPSC CAPF-AC Exam is given below:
Written Test (Paper I)
Topic included in General Ability and Intelligence are as follows:
- General Mental Ability
- General Science
- Indian Polity and Economics
- Current Events of National and International Importance
- History of India
- Indian and World Geography
Written Test (Paper II)
General Studies, Essay and Comprehension:
Questions could be asked from the following topics:
- Indian history especially of the freedom struggle,
- Polity and economy,
- Knowledge of security and human rights issues,
- Analytical ability.
Comprehension, precis writing, other communications/language skills – to be attempted in English.
The topics include:
- Comprehension passages,
- Precis writing,
- Developing counter-arguments,
- Simple grammar,
- Other aspects of language testing.
Job Prospects of UPSC CAPF-AC
- Assistant Commandant (AC) leads a company of around 150 armed personnel, which is deployed for conducting elections and maintaining normalcy, apart from the original mandates of border guarding and guarding the industrial corridors (CISF).
- Though CRPF is one such force which is directly involved in law and order maintenance and assisting the local administration in maintaining the local order.
- The Assistant Commandant has to perform functions like planning and conduct of operations, ensuring on the job training to keep the Company in the constant state of operational preparedness for the requirement in any situation, organizing independent intelligence network for operational efficiency, ensuring efficacy and serviceability of armaments in the Company.
Salary of UPSC CAPF-AC
The starting salary of a CAPF – AC officer:
- Pay-Scale: Rs. 15,600 – 39,100 /-
- Grade-Pay: Rs. 5,400 /-
- Total Salary: Rs. 56,100 /-
Rank wise distribution of pay-scale, grade pay and salary is given in the following table:
|Designation/ Ranks||Pay Scale||Grade Pay||Total Salary|
|Director General (Apex Scale of the Indian Police Service)||Rs. 80,000||–||Rs. 2,25,000|
|Additional Director General (Higher Administrative Grade of the IPS cadre, also available to BSF cadre)||Rs. 67,000 – 79,000||–||Rs. 1,82,200|
|Inspector General (IG)||Rs. 37,400 – 67,000||Rs. 10,000||Rs. 1,44,200|
|Deputy Inspector General (DIG)||Rs. 37,400 – 67,000||Rs. 8,700||Rs. 1,18,500|
|Commandant (Comdt)||Rs. 15,600 – 39,100||Rs. 7,600||Rs. 78,800|
|Deputy Commandant (Dy. Comdt)||Rs. 15,600 – 39,100||Rs. 6,600||Rs. 67,700|
|Assistant Commandant (Asst. Comdt)||Rs. 15,600 – 39,100||Rs. 5,400||Rs. 56,100|
UPSC CAPF – AC Application Procedure
The application process for applying in the CAPF – AC is as same as it is for other UPSC exams. Candidates have to apply online through UPSC official site.
The eligible candidates shall be issued an e-admit card weeks before the commencement of the examination.
Candidates are requested to keep ready the attested copies of the following documents for submission to the Commission soon after the declaration of the result of the written part of the examination.
- Certificate of Age.
- Certificate of Educational Qualification.
- Certificate in support of a claim to belong to Scheduled Caste, Scheduled Tribe and Other Backward Classes where applicable.
- Certificate in support of a claim for age/fee concession, where applicable.
- Certificate in support of being Person with Benchmark Disability (where applicable)