How to Make a Career in Public Relations | Job Options | Salaries
If you are looking for a career in public relation, this article is a must. This article consists of the job prospects of a public relation specialist.
His/her average salary, Skills and qualities that are necessary for the job, etc.
The whole article is written to give you an overview for pursuing a career in Public Relations. The topics that are covered are:
- Definition of Public Relation
- Eligibility required and Courses available
- Skills required to become a master of Public relations
- Best Institutes for pursuing Public Relation courses
- Job profile of a Public Relation specialists
How to make a Career in Public Relation?
Public Relations as a profession requires one to work in such a way that the objectives, policies, products or services of their client/organization are presented in the right light to their target audience.
As traditional marketing becomes less effective in today’s market, the importance of public relations continues to grow. This growth creates a need for more public relations experts to fill positions.
Still, the competition is strong, and candidates must set themselves apart to get good positions in the field. PR is a planned and sustained effort to establish and maintain goodwill between an “organization” and the “audiences” those who are important to it.
These audiences – also called publics – include existing and potential customers, employees, investors, the media, government, suppliers, and opinion-formers
Public Relations as a separate career option has come into existence when lots of private, government companies and institution felt the need to market their product, service, and facilities.
Public image is important to all organizations and prominent personalities. Therefore,… the role of public relation specialist becomes pertinent in crisis situations when the correct and timely transmission of information can help to save the face of the organization.
Eligibility and Courses
You may pursue a career in public relations at both the graduate and undergraduate levels. There are some diploma courses as well as post-graduate diploma courses in Public relations. Duration of most the courses is of one year.
Some topics that may help you to succeed
- How to improve your work efficiency
- 10 Tips to crack a job interview
- How to successfully crack a competitive exam
Apart from this, you can also take short-term courses. And the best part is, most training programmes in Advertising also include public relations. So if you are into advertising sectors you can work as an intern for the big players in such sectors.
Any professional course in Public Relation covers areas like:
- Public relations principles and techniques,
- Public relations management and administration,
- Organizational development,
- Writing skill development,
- Emphasizing news releases,
- Studying the art of proposals,
- Presentation of annual reports,
- Developing scripts, speeches, and related items,
- Learning visual communications,
- Desktop publishing and computer graphics,
- Emphasizing social science research and
- Survey designing and implementation.
Important Skills in Public Relation field
- You must have an excellent communication skill (both spoken and written), so as to express thoughts clearly and simply.
- You must possess an attractive personality and the ability to get along with a wide range of people both inside and outside an organization.
- You need to be polite always as you have to work under pressure or provocation.
- You should have the ability to organize events, as one may have to organize press conferences, lectures, exhibitions, and events.
- Must have self-confidence and far-sightedness.
- He must be able to understand human psychology and take decisions according to the situation.
- Analytical skills are also required in order to interpret research information and plan activities.
Institutes for Pursuing Public Relation courses
Some of the best colleges in “India” for pursuing PR Courses
- Indian Institute of Mass Communication, New Delhi
- YMCA Institute for Media Studies & Information Technology, New Delhi
- St Xavier’s Institute of Communications, Mumbai
- Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, New Delhi
- Jadavpur University, Kolkata
- School of Broadcasting and Communication, Mumbai
Some of the Best Colleges in the “USA” for pursuing PR Courses:
- Stanford University | Accepts TOEFL Score
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology | Accepts TOEFL Score
- Michigan State University | Accepts TOEFL Score
- The University of Pennsylvania | Accepts LSAT Score
- The University of California-Berkeley | Accepts LSAT Score
- The University of California-Los Angeles | Accepts TOEFL Score
What is the Job Profile of a Public Relation Specialist?
In terms of career opportunities, Public relations is broadly practiced for doing product publicity and corporate publicity, in order to have a better relationship with the government authorities. This will help you to publish corporate publications like a newsletter, bulletins, magazines for employees and other associates.
Public Relation officers can find employment in almost any reputed organization. Some of them are listed here:
- Corporate Sector organizations,
- Public Sector organizations,
- News and Media organizations,
- Government Agencies,
- Tourist Agencies,
- Hotels and Resorts,
- Banks and other Financial Institutions,
- Private Consultancy firms, etc.
Public Relation officers have to work within the organization and outside the organization as well.
- Within the concern, they have to conduct management-employee meets, to inform organizations policies, activities and accomplishments.
- Outside he/she has to communicate with government departments, trade unions, press etc. whose cooperation is required for the smooth functioning, and also have to manage complaints from the consumers, organize events like fairs, exhibitions etc.
The work also involves, keeping the management aware of public attitudes and concerns of the many groups and organizations with which they must deal.
Another important area of work in public relation field is to create a public identity or an image for public figures. It includes advising them on every aspect of personality, including dress code, behavior, the statement given in the press, public appearances etc.
Nowadays, Public Relation Specialists can also work for individuals who need agents to manage their public interactions in order to help the employer to develop a good image in front of the general public. Political figures, Models, and Film-stars are some of the great options to start with.
Some of the Job profiles in Public Relation sector are listed below:
General PR Job Profiles
- Managing Editor
- Event Manager
- Media Director
- Public Affairs Specialist
- Public Information Officer
- Public Information Specialist
- Public Relations Coordinator
- Public Relations Director
Communications Job Profiles
- Corporate Communications Specialist
- Director of Strategic Communication
- Sales and Communications Manager
- Media and Communications Manager
Development and Fundraising Job Profiles
- Development Officer
- Financial Public Relations Associate
- Fundraising Manager
Media Job Profiles
- Manager, Digital, and Social Media
- Media Coordinator
- Media Relations Manager
(In addition, public relations departments employ public relations specialists to write, research, prepare materials, maintain contacts, and respond to inquiries.)
Lobbying is a new field for a Public Relation specialist. It involves bringing about the passage of laws favorable to the special interest group they represent like a company, industries, government etc.
It is a strategy used to raise public consciousness and influence policy-makers in areas like environment, human rights, education etc. This is an interesting area of work in public relation.
Some topics that may help you to succeed
- How to become a Successful Stock Analyst
- Career Opportunities For An Interior Designer
- 11 Career Options For Women to fly high
- 15 Career Mistakes that you should avoid
Salary of a Public Relation Specialists
The median annual salary of a public relations specialists is $58,020. The median wage is the wage at which half the workers in an occupation earned more than that amount and half earned less. The lowest 10% earned less than $32,090, and the highest 10% earned more than $110,560.
The median annual wages of a public relations specialists in the top industries in which they work are as follows:
|Organizations||Avg. Annual Salary|
|Government or Public Sector||$62,400|
|Business, professional, labor, political, and similar organizations||$60,250|
|Advertising, public relations, and related services||$59,490|
|Educational services; state, local, and private||$53,840|
Most public relations specialists work full time during regular business hours. Long workdays are common, as is overtime.
(Source: collegegrad website)
Though, I think that I have covered all the necessary points that are required in order to give you a brief overview for pursuing a career in Public Relations, Job Prospects, Eligibility, Global Avg. Salary packages and the best institutions providing such courses. Though the competition is tough yet this is one of the most promising occupations for a growing service-oriented market.