UPSC National Defence Academy and Naval Academy Examination (UPSC NDA & NA) 2020
|Level of Exam||Under Graduate, National Level|
|Exam Medium||English, Hindi|
|Exam Frequency||Twice in a year|
|Purpose of the Exam||For admittance to the Army, Navy, and Air Force wings of the NDA.|
The National Defence Academy (NDA) examination is being conducted by Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) for enrolment to the Army, Navy, and Air Force wings of the audience. Defence forces, including Army, Navy, and Air Force, candidate this gateway examination for aspiring candidates. The NDA examination is being conducted by UPSC twice a year in offline mode. NDA & NA (I) & (II) 2020 is being conducted on the 6th of September, 2020.
The NDA & NA (1) and (2) 2020 candidates will be recruited on the basis of Written Exam and SSB Interview. After taking the exam, qualify for the personality test or interview round hosted by Service Selection Board (SSB). This is a national level exam held twice a year helping aspirants make a career in Defence Forces. Guidelines for selection and final conduct of the entrance exam, is solely the responsibility of UPSC. The UPSC NDA & NA (I) & (II) 2020 exam is being held for the admission of candidates to the 145th and 146th course in NDA and 107th and 108th course in NA
UPSC NDA & NA Examination Important Dates 2020
|Starting date of UPSC NDA I Online Applications Date||January 8, 2020|
|Ending date of UPSC NDA I Online Applications Date||January 28, 2020|
|Starting Date of UPSC NDA II Online Applications Date||June 16, 2020|
|Ending date of UPSC NDA II Online Applications Date||July 6, 2020|
|UPSC NDA & NA Written Exam||September 6, 2020|
Both NDA I and NDA II examination were conducted on the same date of 6 Sepember 2020, due to government restrictions.
UPSC NDA & NA Examination Eligibity Criteria 2020
- Educational Qualification
- Age Limit
- Restrictions on Attempts
• Citizen of India
• Subject of Nepal, Subject of Bhutan, Tibetan refugee coming to India before January 1, 1962 provided that the candidate is a person having a certificate of eligibility issued by the Indian Government. ( except candidates from Gorkha subjects of Nepal)
• Indian originators from countries like Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Vietnam, Zambia, Malawi, Ethiopia, Kenya, Uganda, United Republic of Tanzania and Zaire who intend on permanently settling in India
• For the army wing of NDA class 12 pass of the 10+2 pattern of school education is a must for the candidates. Or State Education Board or University hosting any other examination.
• For Air Force and Naval Wings of NDA and 10+2 Cadet Entry Scheme at the Indian Naval Academy, class 12 pass of 10+2 pattern of the school education or equivalent to Physics and Maths conducted is a must conducted by State Education Board or University.
• NDA &NA (I) - unmarried male candidates born not before July 2nd, 2002
• NDA & NA (II) – unmarried male candidates born not before January 2nd, 2001
• NDA &NA (I) - unmarried male candidates born not later than July 1st, 2002
• NDA & NA (II) – unmarried male candidates born not later than January 1st 2004
There are no restrictions on the number of attempts for UPSC National Defence Academy (NDA) and Naval Academy (NA) Examination.
UPSC NDA & NA Examination Pattern 2020
The NDA & NA exams take place in two steps, the main exam and the interview round, strictly on the basis of the guidelines placed by the conducting body UPSC. The exam takes place in offline mode and candidates must write the exam in their own hands.
The candidates qualifying for the main exam are eligible for appearing in the interview round held by SSB. The qualifying marks for the interview round, is decided by UPSC. The main examination paper has two parts namely, maths and general ability test. In the SSB Interview and Personality Test, the interview takes place in two stages, Stage I and Stage II.
Pattern for Written exam
|Sl. No.||Name of the Paper/Section||Nature||Nos. of Questions||Question Type||Duration||Negative Marking||Marks|
This exam is to test the mathematical knowledge. For this exam practice UPSC NDA & NA Mathematics Mock Test with answers.
|Merit Ranking Nature||120||Objective (Multiple Choice)||150 mins||0.33||300|
|2||General Ability Test
This exam tests English + General Knowledge of the candidate
|Merit Ranking Nature||150||Objective (Multiple Choice)||150 mins||0.33||600|
*The total marks shown here are considered for merit ranking purposes.
Pattern for SSB InterviewTotal marks allotted: 900
Officially called the “Personality Test“, the objective of the interview is to assess the personal suitability of the candidate for a career in public service by a board of competent and unbiased observers. The test is intended to evaluate the mental calibre of a candidate.
UPSC NDA & NA Examination Syllabus 2020
Syllabus for Written exam
- Matrices and Determinants,
- Analytical Geometry of Two and Three Dimensions,
- Differential Calculus, Integral Calculus and Differential Equation,
- Vector algebra,
- Statistics and
2 General Ability Test
- General Knowledge divided into sections of
- General Science,
- Geography and
- Current Affairs.
Syllabus for SSB Interview
There is no specific syllabus for SSB interview. In broad terms, this is really an assessment of not only a candidate’s intellectual qualities but also social traits and interest in current affairs. Some of the qualities to be judged are mental alertness, critical powers of assimilation, clear and logical exposition, the balance of judgement, variety and depth of interest, the ability for social cohesion, LEADERSHIP, and intellectual and moral integrity.