UPSC CAPF-AC Examination 2020
|Level of Exam||Graduate, National Level|
|Exam Medium||English, Hindi|
|Exam Frequency||Once in a year|
|Purpose of the Exam||Recruitment of candidates having the potential of becoming future officers in Police Forces.|
|Conducting Body||Union Public Service Examination (UPSC)|
The Central Armed Police Forces (CAPF) examination is conducted by Union Public Service Examination (UPSC) for shortlisting aspirants for various police forces such as Border Security Force (BSF), Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF), Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP), Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) and Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB).
It is a national level competitive exam conducted once in a year. The recruitment takes place in three steps, the written exam, physical examination and finally followed by the interview round. Candidates clearing these three rounds are inducted into the training academies of these police forces. On December 20th, 2020 the CAPF UPSC written exam will be conducted. The candidates that are recruited by this exam join the police forces as Assistant Commandant (AC).
UPSC CAPF-AC Examination Important Dates 2020
|Date of Notification Release||August 18, 2020|
|Online application commencement||August 18, 2020|
|Last date for application||September 7, 2020|
|Date of Admit card release||November, 2020|
|CAPF AC Exam Date||December 20, 2020|
|CAPF AC Exam result date||January 2021|
UPSC CAPF-AC Examination Eligibity Criteria 2020
- Educational Qualification
- Age Limit The age of the candidate to appear in the UPSC CAPF-AC Examination should be minimum of 20 years and maximum of 25 years.
• Candidates appearing must be an Indian citizen
• Exception will be made only if the central government notifies in writing for employment.
The candidate must have a bachelor’s degree from a recognized university. Candidates appearing for their final year exam can also apply provided they present their final result during the process of Detailed Application Form (DAF)
However, there are age relaxations for candidates belonging to the reserved categories. They are given below in the table.
|Category||Upper Age Limit|
|Civilian central Government servant/Ex-Servicemen||30 years|
|Domicile in Jammu & Kashmir since 1st January 1980 to 31st December 1989||30 years|
There are no restrictions on the number of attempts.
UPSC CAPF-AC Examination Pattern 2020
The CAPF is a national level examination conducted by UPSC once a year for the recruitment of Assistant Commandants (AC). The exam is conducted in offline mode and has three parts; the selection process, written exam, the physical test and the interview round. The written examination has two papers with the first paper being objective and the second paper being descriptive in nature.
Assistant Commandant ranks equivalent to Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP), Deputy Superintendant of Police (DSP) and Captain in the Indian Army. The examination is held and selection is done strictly on the basis of the guidelines set by UPSC. Final selection of the candidates is done on the basis of the three exams.
Pattern for Written Exam
|Sl. No.||Name of the Paper/Section||Nature||Nos. of Questions||Question Type||Duration||Negative Marking||Marks|
|1||Paper-I: General Ability and Intelligence
||Merit Ranking Nature||200||Objective (Multiple Choice)||120 mins||0.33||250|
|2||Paper-II: General Studies Essay and Comprehension
||Merit Ranking Nature||6||Descriptive||180 mins||200|
*The total marks shown here are considered for merit ranking purposes.
Pattern for Interview round/ personality test
Officially called the “Interview round/ personality test“, the objective of the interview is to assess the personal suitability of the candidate for a career in public service by a board of competent and unbiased observers. The test is intended to evaluate the mental calibre of a candidate.
**Note: Only candidates qualifying the physical ability test will be shortlisted for appearing in the personal interview/test.
Details of the physical ability test is mentioned below.
UPSC CAPF-AC Examination Syllabus 2020
Syllabus for Written Exam
1 Paper-I: General Ability and Intelligence
- General mental ability: to test the logical reasoning, quantitative aptitude (data interpretation & numerical ability)
- General Science: biotechnology, environmental science, technology.
- National and international current events: areas of culture, art, music, governance, sports, literature, industry, business, societal and development issues, globalization.
- Indian politics and economy: Constitution of India, Economic development of India, social systems and public administrations, human rights, regional and international security issues.
- History of India
- World and Indian Geography: physical, social and economic aspects of geography.
2 Paper-II: General Studies Essay and Comprehension
- Essay Writing, Comprehension, Precise Writing, communication and language skills attempted in English.
- Indian history, current events, Indian national movement, economics, environment, general science, cultural heritage, science and technology
Syllabus for Interview round/ personality test
There is no specific syllabus for interview. In broad terms, this is really an assessment of not only a candidate’s intellectual qualities but also social traits and interest in current affairs. Some of the qualities to be judged are mental alertness, critical powers of assimilation, clear and logical exposition, the balance of judgement, variety and depth of interest, the ability for social cohesion, LEADERSHIP, and intellectual and moral integrity
Physical ability test
- 100 meters race (completion time 16 seconds for male and 18 seconds for female candidates)
- 800 meters race (completion time 3 minutes and 45 seconds for male and 4 minutes and 45 seconds for female candidates)
- Long Jump (3.5 meters for and 3 meters for female candidates to qualify)
- Shot Put-7.26 kg (4.5 is the qualifying distance for male candidates)