Common Admission Test (CAT) 2021
Eligibility | Dates | Pattern | Syllabus
Common Admission Test or CAT exam is an aptitude test conducted by any of the Indian Institute of Management on a rotational basis. The exam is conducted for admission into the Indian Institute of Management and other top-level business schools across India.
CAT exam is a highly competitive exam where lakhs of students appear to get into the management courses in the top management institutes across India. Besides Indian students, foreign nationals can also apply for this exam.
|Level of Exam||Graduate, National Level|
|Exam Frequency||Once in a year|
|Purpose of the Exam||For admission into Indian Institute of Management and top level Business Schools in India.|
|Conducting Body||Indian Institute of Management (IIM)|
CAT Exam Eligibity Criteria 2021
- Educational Qualification
- Age Limit
- Restrictions on Attempts
Both Indian and foreign nationals can appear for this exam.
The candidate must possess a bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 50 per cent aggregate or equivalent CGPA (45 per cent aggregate for SC, ST and PWD/DA category) from a recognised board or university.
There is no age limit.
There is no restriction on the number of attempts.
CAT Exam Important Dates 2021
|Starting Date of Application||To be notified|
|Last Date of Application||To be notified|
|Date of exam||To be notified|
CAT Exam Pattern 2021
- The total number of questions 76 carrying total marks of 228.
- Total time duration 120 minutes.
- There is a time limit of 40 minutes for each section.
Pattern for CAT
|Sl. No.||Name of the Paper/Section||Nature||Nos. of Questions||Question Type||Duration||Negative Marking||Marks|
||Merit Ranking Nature||76||Objective (Multiple Choice)||120 mins||-1 will be deducted for each wrong answer.||228|
*The total marks shown here are considered for merit ranking purposes.
CAT Exam Syllabus 2021
Syllabus for CAT
1 Paper I
Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension
- Verbal Reasoning
- Reading Comprehension
- Correction in Sentence
- Reading Comprehension
- Multiple usage of one word
- Idioms and phrases
- One-word substitution
- Odd sentence out
- Arithmetic: Numbers, Percentage, Profit & Loss, Simple and Compound Interest, Ratio, Proportionality, Time-Distance, Time-Work, Mixtures, Averages, Partnership
- Algebra: Basic Algebraic Formulae, Linear Equations, Quadratic Equations, Roots, Maxima & Minima, Inequalities, Logarithm, Functions, Modifications of Graphs, Problems on Ages, Number of Integer Solutions, Smallest Value in a Maximum Function, etc.
- Advance Mathematics: Permutation and Combinations, Probability, Set Theory, Progression and Series
- Geometry: Line, Angles, Triangles, Quadrilaterals, Polygon, Circles, Ares, Volume, Height and Distance, Co-ordinate Geometry, Basic Trigonometry.
Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning: Bar Graph & Line Graph, 2 Pie Charts and 1 Table, Table (shirt & colour), Blood Relation and Data Arrangement, Linear Arrangement, Set Theory, Lift and Timing based question, Table (products and customers), Machine Input and Output, Missing Number.