State Rural Employment Society, Meghalaya is the nodal agency for implementation of Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA), 2005 in Meghalaya.
MGNREGA is an Indian labour law and social security measure that aims to guarantee the ‘right to work’. It aims to enhance livelihood security in rural areas by providing at least 100 days of wage employment in a financial year to every household whose adult members volunteer to do unskilled manual work.
The objectives of the State Rural Employment Society are:
- To improve the delivery mechanism system of Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme in the state.
- To promote awareness of village institutions so established for purpose of Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act in participating Government programmes and strengthen them for providing necessary guidance and support.
- Build capacity of village institutions and empower them to take responsibilities for the management of resources providing employment and execution of works in MGNREGA.
- To receive funds from the government, state and central, financial institutions towards the promotion of the goals and objectives of the society.
- To monitor the progress of the projects and programmes taken up from the resources provided to the society and conduct evaluations of these programmes and projects according to the time frame and details considered appropriate.
- To support and collaborate with various institutions/organisations of the state/outside the state on matters relevant from the point of view of the objectives of the society.
Industry: Rural & Social Development