Ganjam District came into existence on 1st April 1936. The district is named after the old township and European fort of Ganjam situated on the northern bank of river Rushikulya which was the head quarter of the District. The Ganjam area was a part of ancient Kalinga which was occupied by Ashok in 261 B.C. The period of 1757 was ruled by the French Commander Bussy. In 1759, the French ruler was defeated by English and the District was annexed by them. The office of the District Collector was established in 1794. The District got separated from the Madras Presidency and formed the part of the newly created State of Odisha province with effect from 1.4.1936.
Ganjam District is on 19.4 to 20.17 degree North Latitude and 84.7 to 85.12 degree East Longitude. It covers an area of 8070.60 sq km. The district is braodly divided into two divisions, the Coastal plain area in the east and hill and table lands in the west.
Industry: Public Administration