National Centre for Disease Control
The National Centre for Disease Control (formerly National Institute of Communicable Diseases) had its origin as Central Malaria Bureau, established at Kasauli (Himachal Pradesh) in 1909 and following expansion was renamed in 1927 as the Malaria Survey of India. The organization was shifted to Delhi in 1938 and called the Malaria Institute of India (MII). On July 30, 1963, the erstwhile MII was renamed as NICD to shoulder these additional responsibilities.
The institute was established to function as a national centre of excellence for the control of communicable diseases. The function of the institute also included various areas of training and research using a multi-disciplinary integrated approach. The NICD campus at Delhi covers an approximate area of 15.35 acres which includes the former official residence of Commander in Chief of the Indian Army and now houses the administrative block, library, divisions of epidemiology and parasitic diseases.
The Institute is under the administrative control of the Director-General of Health Services, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Govt. of India. The Director, an officer of the Public Health sub-cadre of Central Health Service, is the administrative and technical head of the Institute.