Meghalaya Basin Development Authority
The Meghalaya Basin Development Authority (MBDA) is the nodal agency of the Government of Meghalaya to sustainably develop the river basin resources, which shall ultimately lead to promoting the sustainable livelihood and gainful employment opportunities for the residents of river basins, independent or through the convergence of initiatives. It was set up in April 2012 under the Chairmanship of Chief Secretary, Government of Meghalaya.
The primary objectives of the MBDA are:
- To increase sustainable income-generating cultivation systems and the establishment of micro/small scale/ medium scale bio-industrial units.
- To enable people’s participation to select livelihood activities most suited to their resources, skills and interest.
- To address the felt needs and priorities of women and increase their participation in local institutions and decision-making processes.
- To promote microfinance including saving and thrift and microinsurance projects.
- To act as a catalyst in facilitating mobilization of financial resources to micro/small/medium scale enterprises to benefit the poor.