Lokopriya Gopinath Bordoloi Regional Institute Of Mental Health
The Lokopriya Gopinath Bordoloi Regional Institute of Mental Health (LGBRIMH) was initially set up as Tezpur Lunatic Asylum under the British Government in April 1876. In 1922 the hospital was rechristened as Tezpur Mental Hospital. With the progress in the field of psychiatry across the globe, steps were also taken to develop this hospital with modern facilities. Major construction activities were started in 1926. A private firm, “Zardine Menezes Co.,” was hired from Calcutta for undertaking the up-gradation works. By the end of 1932, the hospital accommodation rose up to 700 beds. Most of the existing buildings in the Indoor section are of those times. After the Independence, the hospital was brought under the Government of Assam.
In 1999 the Institute was handed over to the North Eastern Council (NEC). Being the premier tertiary care psychiatric institute in the NE region, the hospital was upgraded to a regional institute with the objective of providing better mental health care and developing manpower in the region. The Institute was thereafter rechristened as “Lokopriya Gopinath Bordoloi Regional Institute of Mental Health.”On June 1, 2007, the Institute was taken over by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India.