The Indian Institute of Geomagnetism is an autonomous research institution established by the Government of India’s Department of Science and Technology. The facility is engaged in basic and applied research in geomagnetism, as well as allied areas of geophysics, atmospheric physics and space physics, as well as plasma physics.
Indian Institute of Geomagnetism (IIG) has an enviable antiquity of over 175 years, which was instrumental in spawning geomagnetism in the Indian subcontinental region. IIG was given a full-scale mandate to pursue geomagnetic and allied field research in 1971. It has been an autonomous institution since its inception and is now functioning directly under the Department of Science and Technology, Government of India.
The Institute was developed as a successor of Colaba Observatory in 1971. The original Observatory was founded in 1826. Its first Director was B. N. Bhargava, appointed in 1971, and held this title until 1979.