ICAR-Indian Agricultural Research Institute
The Indian Agricultural Research Institute is the premier institute in India engaged in agricultural research, introducing new technologies to the farmland and cultivating processes for the upliftment of the Indian farmers and the overall Indian farming conditions.
The journey of Indian Agricultural Research Institute (IARI), popularly known as Pusa Institute, began in 1905 at Pusa (Bihar) with a generous grant of 30,000 pounds from an American philanthropist, Mr. Henry Phipps. The institute was then known as Agricultural Research Institute (ARI) which functioned with five departments, namely Agriculture, Cattle Breeding, Chemistry, Economic Botany and Mycology. Bacteriology unit was added in 1907. The name of ARI was changed to the Imperial Institute of Agricultural Research in 1911 and, in 1919 it was renamed as Imperial Agricultural Research Institute. Following a devastating earthquake on 15th January 1934, the institute was shifted to Delhi on 29th July 1936. Post-independence, the institute has been renamed as Indian Agricultural Research Institute (IARI).
During the fifties, the advancement of scientific disciplines constituted the core program of IARI and provided the base for its fast expansion in the 1960s and 1970s. It attained the status of a Deemed University in the year 1958. The green revolution that brought smiles to millions of Indians bloomed from the fields of IARI with the development of famous wheat varieties which contributed an estimated on billion tones of addition production. As the Mother of several ICAR institutions, IARI continues to be the leading institution for agricultural research, education, and extension in the country.
Industry: Agriculture & Farming