Gurukula Kangri Vishwavidyalaya was founded on March 4, 1902, by Swami Shraddhanandaji with the sole aim to revive the ancient Indian Gurukula System of education. To give real shape to the dreams of Swami Shraddhanandaji, Kanya Gurukula Campus, Haridwar was established in 1993 for the upliftment of women in the country. The impetus for the foundation was found in the teachings and activities of Dayananda Saraswati, founder of the Arya Samaj. The first foundation brick was laid down in Gujranwala, Punjab. During India, Partition Swami Ji searched for a suitable palace in India according to the imagination of Dayananda Saraswati as mentioned in Satyarth Prakash. The site of Kangri village, Bijnor district, was flooded when the river changed course in 1924 the new (present) campus was built subsequently.
This institution was established with the objective of providing an indigenous alternative to Lord Macaulay’s education policy by imparting education in the areas of Vedic literature, Indian philosophy, Indian culture, modern sciences, and research. It is a deemed to be university fully funded by UGC/Govt. of India.