The Directorate of Medical Education, Assam, Training and Research, Assam was established in the year 1984 under the control of the Health & Family Welfare Department, Government of Assam. All the Dental Colleges of Assam is undertaken by DME. The main work of DME is –
- To promote expertise in medical science in different streams like Allopathic, Ayurvedic and Homoeopathic medicine and paramedical science.
- To promote health care facilities to the people of Assam through different hospitals under the Directorate.
- To develop and sustain medical education through proper planning.
- To promote research in the field of medical science in the state of Assam.
- To develop human resources in medical science through different institutions under the Directorate.
- Administrative control of the Undergraduate, Post-graduate Degree/Diploma and Post Doctoral courses of various Health Educational Institutions under this Directorate.
- Administrative control over all the colleges and hospitals under it.