Malkangiri District is named after its headquarters town, Malkangiri. During the formation of Odisha Province in 1936, Malkangiri was a ‘Taluk’ of Nabrangpur subdivision of the Koraput District of Odisha. In 1962 it was upgraded to a subdivision of Koraput District.
The present Malkangiri got its identity as an independent district due to the reorganization of districts of Odisha as per a notification on 1st October 1992 and with effect from 2nd October 1992. Covering an area of 5,791 sq. km, it lays between 17 degrees 45’N to 18 degrees 40’N latitudes and 81 degrees 10’ E to 82 degrees E longitude.
Industry: Public Administration