Collector & District Magistrate’s Office, Malkangiri
The history of Malkangiri seems to be in no way less thrilling and adventurous than any other place of India. The land of dense inaccessible forests, small but beautiful rivers, undulating plateaus and splendorous rich tribal culture, Malkangiri has its history of human civilization enrooted to as long as 2500 years back. Prior to the modern civilization, many mythological episodes took place in and around Malkangiri.
Prior to 1936, Malkangiri was a part of Madras Presidency. In 1936, Koraput District from Madras Presidency merged into Odisha and Malkangiri Tahasil was included in Koraput District. The first English Collector of Koraput District, Mr.R.C.S.Bell, in the year 1941, prepared the Gazetteer of Koraput in which he described the physical condition, climatic condition and all about the tribal people of Malkangiri Tahasil. This Tahasil was a part of the Nawarangpur Sub–Division of Koraput District. On 1st January, 1962, Malkangiri Sub–Division came into existence. In 1958, Dandakaranya Development Project was implemented to settle the refugees coming from East Pakistan. This project continued for 30 years until it was declared closed in the year 1988.
Finally on 2nd October 1992, Malkangiri got its identity as a District as per Notification No. 49137/R dated 01.10.1992 of Odisha Government in Revenue and Excise Department, Odisha, Bhubaneswar, carving out of Koraput District.