The District of Koraput derives its name from its headquarters, the present town of koraput. In ancient times, when the Nalas were ruling over this tract, pushkari, the modern Umerkote was the capital city. In the medieval period, Nandapur developed as the capital under the Silavamsi kings and sometimes under the kings of the Solar dynasty. Virvikram, Deo of the Solar dynasty shifted his headquarters to Jeypore about the middle of the 17 century and this town prospered as the capital. Koraput was chosen by the British in 1870 for better health prospects.
The whole of the district of koraput comprises the ex–zamindaries of Jeypore and kashipur. Vinayak Deo, the founder of the present Jeypore Raj family, inherited the kingdom of the Silvamsis by the middle of the 15th century A.D. The capital of the kingdom,however, lost its independences in 1571 when it became feudatory of the Qutub shahis of Golkonda and the Nandapur kings started paying annual tribute to the Sultans. During the time of Balaram Deo III ( 1711–1713) large number of Zamindars and feudatories seceded from the Jeypore kingdom with the help of the Marathas.
Industry: Public Administration