Axom Sarba Siksha Abhiyan Mission (A.S.S.A.M) was established in the year 2001 as a registered society under the Registration of Societies Act, 1860 for implementation of the National flagship programme of Sarva Siksha Abhiyan (SSA) in Assam.
The basic Objectives of the Mission are:
- Providing schooling facilities in the habitations hitherto un-served by any schooling facility in a clear time frame;
- Enrolling all children of the age group 6-14 years in schools/alternative schools/back to school camps etc.;
- Retaining the children within the schooling system for the whole period of elementary education;
- Improving quality in education through teachers’ training, provision of teaching-learning materials, textbooks, etc.;
- Promoting social justice amongst socially backward communities, caste, tribes, etc. and
- Gender sensitivity amongst all and effective involvement of Panchayati Raj Institutions and Peoples’ Committees in management of schools